While Bharat wants to move closer to the US, the entire spectrum of Pakistani society is urging Pakistan to dump the so called US “Strategic Dialogue” and move closer to China and the Central Asia Republics.
If the US wants to stay in Afghanistan for the next forty years, it is up to them. Pakistan can join the SCO and link up the Central Asian Republics and China to the warm waters of the Arabian Sea without Afghanistan.
Last year, the SCO made some changes to its rules–allowing for new members. Iran was told that it could not join the SCO ’till the sanctions on it remained. However Pakistan is on the waiting list.
This year is an important year–for Pakistan. It clearly wants to join the SCO. With President Obama symbolic support for Bharat’s ephemeral membership of the US club called the UNSC–Islamabad clearly wants to move closer to the SCO members states. Both China and Russia have shown reservations regarding Bharat’s membership of the UNSC.
Joining the SCO would put new life into the ECO and with Turkey and Iran as part of the ECO, the countries can work on improving their economic lot.
- Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and three federal ministers arrived in Dushanbe November 24 to represent Pakistan at the annual Shanghai Co-operation Organisation (SCO) summit on November 25.
- Gilani said he would discuss boosting security and economic co-operation with the regional leaders at the SCO’s Heads of Government Council meeting, the state-run APP wire service reported.
- Pakistan will seek permanent SCO membership, keeping in view the forum’s significance in economic co-operation and maintaining regional security, he said.
- Pakistan wants to learn from the expertise of SCO member countries in fighting terrorism and extremism, he added.
- Pakistan wants to have full membership of Shanghai Cooperation Organization: PM
ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani has said that Pakistan wants to have full membership of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization and establish good relations with its member countries and utilize their expertise to counter terrorism.
He expressed these views while talking to reporters at Chaklala Airbase before his departure to Tajikistan on a two day visit to attend the Shanghai Cooperation Organization summit to be held in Dushanbe from tomorrow.
Minister for Water and Power Raja Pervez Ashraf, Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Syed Naveed Qamar and Minister of Sate for Foreign Affairs Nawabzada Malik Amad Khan are accompanying the Prime Minister.
He was seen off at Chaklala Air base by members of the Federal Cabinet and the Services Chiefs.
Prime Minister said the aim of the SCO is to enhance regional cooperation and to against the menace of terrorism and extremism.
- Gilani, Tajik president stress need for cooperation for regional peace, development.
- Review progress on implementation of Central Asia South Asia-1,000 project
- Pakistan and Tajikistan on Wednesday agreed to further strengthen their existing bilateral relations through increased cooperation in diverse fields, including trade and economy, energy, infrastructure, transportation, communication and people-to-people interaction.
- This was agreed during a bilateral meeting between Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani and Tajik President Emomali Rahmon held on the sidelines of the annual SCO Heads of Government Council (HGC) meeting scheduled for today.
The Prime Minister said on the sideline of the Summit, he will hold bilateral meetings with his Chinese and Russian counterparts. He said Pakistan has old and time tested friendship with China and we want to further enhance relations between the two countries. He said Pakistan and China have cooperation in the field of defence, economic and infrastructure. He said the Chinese Prime Minister is expected to visit Pakistan next month.
He said during his meeting with Russian Prime Minister he will discuss about the possibility of enhancing the capacity of Steel Mill. The Prime Minister said we want to establish very good relations with the regional countries.
To a question, Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani said Pakistan wants to improve its relations with Russia especially in the context of Afghanistan because we are living in this region. He said we want greater cooperation with each other to bring stability in Afghanistan.
Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani on Monday emphasised the importance of the implementation of a trilateral transit trade agreement with Afghanistan and Tajikistan and the connectivity between Tajikistan and Pakistan through construction of a road between Chitral and Tajikistan through the Wakhan Corridor to promote trade and economic ties.
- You: PM Gilani leaves for Tajikistan to attend SCO summit (nation.com.pk)
- You: Pakistan wants joint defence, energy projects with Tajikistan: PM (nation.com.pk)
- You: Gilani to visit Kabul for talks (nation.com.pk)
- Tit for Tat Pakistan-China Civilian Nuclear deal: New 1G plant (C-5) for Pakistan (rupeenews.com)
- China-Pakistan Civilian Nuclear deal: 1 Gig Plant in Chasnupp (pakistanledger.com)
- Italy, Pakistan resurrect CfC to oppose Delhi’s UNSC hopes (rupeenews.com)
- ‘No’ to India on MFN (pakistanledger.com)