The Khaki storm clears, or was never there. The PPP tempest remains on the horizon.The issues between the government and the military seems to to have passed. The media is looking at itself to see what went wrong. The Senate elections have been announced. Neither the Army chief, nor the ISI Chief have been dismissed. The Secretary of Defense was fired for saying “the army and the ISI is not in the control of the Ministry of Defense”.
Mr. Majeed Nizami clearly said that there is no chance of Martial Law. Mr. Dasti of the PPP has taken back his resignation. Mr. Zahid Khan of the ANP announced that the PPP will announce the elections this year.
The National Assembly session has been delayed because of the death of Pir Pagara and one other member of parliament. The PMLN may not resign from parliament.
Mr. Kamran Khan said that he doesn’t really buy the PPP line that the elections will happen in 2012.
Mr. Naji also said that there will be elections next year. Mr. Burney said that the six options say that that the Chairman, the PM and the President are in hot soup.
The domestic situation in Pakistan is oblivious of American machinations in Afghanistan. The NATO supplies remain suspended. Guessing that the supplies will remain closed for a long time the intelligence agencies have begun to use the drones again. This will further exacerbate the situation and may prolong the suspension of NATO supplies. As the war winds down in Afghanistan, “The Americans have stayed in their bases for the last few months.” The US has been unable to build peace with the Talibs despite major announcements of opening offices in Qatar etc.
Islamabad clearly has options. It sees its interests aligned with Russia, China and the Central Asian republics. It doesn’t see the US alliance in its long term interests, or even in its long term interests. Mr. Tom Hussain in the National says.
- Pakistan is also part of an emerging strategic partnership with major Asian powers, none of which want US influence to expand in their backyard, and all of which suspect it is using Afghanistan as a staging post for covert operations. That perception was boosted in December when Iranian security forces hacked a passing CIA drone and landed it undamaged.
- At a conference of regional powers in Istanbul in November, Pakistan worked with China, Russia and Iran to block a US proposal for an international Afghan border monitoring mechanism. Instead, the emergent bloc backed the Iranian position of a “regional solution to a regional crisis” – a poignant reminder that the installation of the Karzai administration in 2002 was made possible by the joint efforts of several influential governments, including Iran.
The Afghan cannot be brought to a successful conclusion without the help of Pakistan. The US continues to stubbornly decline to offer an apology and continues to blame Pakistan for the defeat of American generals in the Hindu Kush. These actions are not conducive to US interests in West an Central Asia.
- Nawaz Sharif expected to call for a ‘Vote of no Confidence’ (rupeenews.com)
- Memogate is all about the End Game in Afghanistan: General Hamid Gul (rupeenews.com)
- The Bonn Conference will be a total failure without Pakistan (rupeenews.com)
- What will happen on Jan. 16th, 2012? (rupeenews.com)
- NATO’s Changing Poloicy towards Pakistan and Afghanistan Part 3: Bonn Conference (rupeenews.com)
- Can Sethi dare to dismiss Kayani before Gilani faces ‘Vote of No Confidence’? (rupeenews.com)
- Preparing for the tempest (rupeenews.com)
- ‘Haqqani, Zardari knew about Abbotabad raid’: Mansur Aijaz (rupeenews.com)
- Pakistan complains to the UN (rupeenews.com)
- Commemrating 22/11 NATO attacks as a day of national unity (rupeenews.com)
- Working Waziristan Wisely (rupeenews.com)
- ‘If pressured, Haqqani may turn state witness against Zardari’: Shaikh Rashid’s conjecture (rupeenews.com)
- Imran Khan faces some Tough questioning in Youth Townhall meeting (rupeenews.com)
- Pakistan scraps all existing anti-terror cooperation agreements with the US (rupeenews.com)
- ‘Pakistani army is installing a dictatorship, without a coup’: Bruce Riedel (rupeenews.com)
- Musharraf discusses Memogate, Drones, NATO attack, and Nuclear issues (rupeenews.com)
- Khan tsunami: Imran shreds PMLN, PPP and explains charges against him (rupeenews.com)
- Zardari departs: ‘critical mistake – seconding me in scheme’: Manzur Aijaz (rupeenews.com)
- Mr. Haqqani’s career hangs by a thread; New Ambassador to US picked and ready (rupeenews.com)
- Wikileak will release Names of Pakistanis with Swiss accounts in 2012 (rupeenews.com)
- ‘Husein Haqqani is the US Ambassador in Washington’: Imran Khan (rupeenews.com)
- Memogate fallout exacerbates US-Pakistani ‘Cold War’ (rupeenews.com)
- Pakistan says ‘Yankee Go Home’: Vacate Shamsi Airbase (rupeenews.com)
- Imran Khan to launch Civil Disobdience movement against the PPP (rupeenews.com)
- Nyet, No, Non, Nahin to MFN status for India (rupeenews.com)