“I have requested [the prime minister, Yousaf Raza] Gilani to accept my resignation as Pakistan ambassador to US,” Haqqani announced on Twitter. “I have much to contribute to building a new Pakistan free of bigotry and intolerance. Will focus energies on that.” Hussain Haqqani
Mr Haqqanis tenure as the Pakistani Ambassador to the Washington is over. Mr. Haqqani has admitted some level of responsibility for the Ambassador Abdullah Haroon, who is slated to be the temporary Ambassador has said, that the resignation proves that there was some evidence of ownership of the memo by Mr. Haqqani. He also said that the memo is several months old and there was no coup.
- Haqqani, a close ally of President Asif Ali Zardari and widely regarded as an influential figure in Washington, quit after being requested to do so by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, according to a statement issued by Gilani’s office.
- Before resigning, Haqqani met with Zardari, Gilani, army Chief of Staff Gen. Ashfaq Kayani and the country’s spy agency chief, Lt. Gen. Ahmed Shuja Pasha, at the prime minister’s residence in Islamabad, the capital, to discuss the scandal, Pakistani television channels reported. L. A Times
- Despite Haqqani’s resignation, the so-called Memogate scandal appears far from over. Opposition parties have demanded an investigation into whether Zardari authorized the memo. Critics of the president’s administration have called the letter’s contents tantamount to treason. L. A Times
Mr. Haroon also said that the process is not over, hinted that Mr. Haqqani faces serious charges. Analysts have suggested that Mr. Haqqani may be charged with treason under Article 6. That scenario is unlikely to happen, but if someone takes the matter to the Supreme Court, the Zardari government could face serious challenges.
A host of Pakistani politicians and Former foreign minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi on Tuesday asserted that the decision taken by the ambassador to US Hussain Haqqani to resign from his post was the right one. Mr. Haqqani made a lot of enemies in Islamabad, and now they are out for his blood. It is doubtful that Mr. Haqqani will live or stay in Pakistan. He however will be more dangerous on the Washington talk circuit and think tank machine.
The world awaits the appointment of Salmaan Bashir–Mr. Abdullah is just as bad as Haqqani, or even worse–(at least he has not written an Anti-Pakistan book)
The resignation is in fact retaliation for US intrusion into Pakistan.
- Is Ambassador Haqqani history? (rupeenews.com)
- Mr. Haqqani’s career hangs by a thread; New Ambassador to US picked and ready (rupeenews.com)
- Washington defends Haqqani, calls memo a fake, ISI confirms it (rupeenews.com)
- The US has lost all the leverage it had with the Pakistani Army (rupeenews.com)
- Those whom the god wish to destroy they first make them mad (karachitelegraph.com)
- US Puppet Field Marshall Tantawi will continue his dictatorship (rupeenews.com)
- Stark reality for India: Chinese Military and Naval Bases in Pakistan (rupeenews.com)
- Working Waziristan Wisely (rupeenews.com)
- Hillary visit to reprise U.S.-Pakistan Strategic Dialogue (rupeenews.com)
- Washington has to ‘do more’ (rupeenews.com)
- Subtle but measured backtracking by US on Mullen remarks (rupeenews.com)
- Field Marshall Tantawi wont leave (rupeenews.com)
- Pakistan’s help to Afghanistan is incalculable (rupeenews.com)
- How to deal with a Superpower: Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto (rupeenews.com)
- Pakistan in the vortex of the Great Game (rupeenews.com)
- Hindsight and Foresight of Memo Gate (rupeenews.com)
- Boiling the new “Asian Ocean’ (rupeenews.com)
- ‘Husein Haqqani is the US Ambassador in Washington’: Imran Khan (rupeenews.com)
- GUILTY: Haqqani resigns (rupeenews.com)